CHINESE PHYSICIAN COMMANDMENTS
1. Physicians should be ever ready to respond to any calls of patients, high or low, rich or poor. They should treat them equally and care not for financial reward. Thus their profession will become prosperous naturally day by day and conscience will remain intact.
2. Physicians may visit a lady, widow or nun only in the presence of an attendant but not alone. The secret diseases of female patients should be examined with right attitude, and should not be revealed to anybody, not even to the physician's own wife.
3. Physicians should not ask patients to send pearl, amber or other valuable substances to their home for preparing medicament. If necessary, patients should be instructed how to mix the prescriptions themselves in order to avoid suspicion. It is also not proper to admire things which patients possess.
4. Physicians should not leave the office for excursion and drinking. Patients should be examined punctually and personally. Prescriptions should be made according to the medical fomulary, otherwise a dispute may arise.
5. Prostitutes should be treated just like patients from a good family and gratuitous services should not given to the poor ones. Mocking should not be indulged for this brings loss of dignity. After examination physicians should leave the house immediately. If the case improves, drugs may be sent but physicians should not visit them again for lewd reward.
Ref: Chen Shih-Kung p An
Orthodox Manual of Surgery, circa 1613.
Source; Cross Cultural Perspective in Medical .
Ethics: Readings, Robert M. Veacth, 1989